Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Long Day Ahead

Tomorrow is a public hearing for the Joint Finance Committee of our totally awesome state legislature in Appleton. Why would I care about that? Well, there are three tobacco related items in Governor Doyle's budget: an increased cigarette tax, smoke free air in all public buildings in WI, and a $1.8 million dollar cut to the tobacco prevention program statewide. Of course, I support the first 2, but not the 2nd. So all of us local pee-ons are pretty much being bullied into attending and making sure you bring others from your area to speak and if you can't then they should at least bring written testimony. So I begged and pleaded and got 5 written testimonies-pretty good I think. The best one is from the owner of a golf course up here. When he and his wife took it over 2 years ago, they ran it as a smoke free place and are the only smoke free bar in Oconto. Unfortunately, he emailed me his testimony after I left work. Luckily I can check my work email from home, so I had to print 20 copies of it (one for each of the 16 committee members and extras) on my home printer. We're out of black toner, so I had to use color. Ouch.

So I have to leave at 7am tomorrow to get to the hearing by 8-8:30am. It's at Lawrence University in downtown Appleton and I get freaked out in downtowns. I have to park in a ramp, and I always forget where I park and then to remember which way to go...yikes. I don't think I'm going to stay all day. I'll sign in, drop off my testimony and see how long my wait will be. The hearing doesn't start until 10am, but we're under strict orders from the powers that be to get there at least 90 minutes early. If it looks like I'll speak before lunch, I'll stay. If not, I'll go because I have a shitpile of stuff at work to do.

Another thing I have to do tomorrow is enter an enrollment for the women's health program I coordinate into our online system. I have to do that before I leave. This woman's income was just over the current guidelines, but they change tomorrow, April 1st. Well she called today and said she has her Pap and mammogram tomorrow, so she absolutely has to be enrolled on or before tomorrow. Well I can't enroll her today, so I had to bring her enrollment form home with me and I'll have to enter it in tomorrow.

And I want to go to a restaurant tomorrow night with my mom's group. It's a place I've never been to before and it sounds yummy. But I'm afraid I might be shot. We'll see.

For this, I'm paid $15,000-$20,000 less than the public health nurses that sit on their asses. Oh yeah, our salaries are public record and I saw what my coworkers make. I just about died. Our Human Services Director makes $93,000 to stumble in hungover almost every day and work from 10am-2pm. Swell.

Paige has an all day retreat at a church about 5 miles away from here tomorrow. The whole school is going and she is beside herself with excitement. She wanted me to pack a lunch and I panicked realizing tonight she doesn't have a lunch bag. So we head up to the Family Dollar in the pouring ran and luckily they had some lunch bags. We lucked out too, I don't think they normally carry them, but they were in this summer/picnic display. PHEW. That is all she talked about tonight-what she was going to have for lunch and her retreat tomorrow. So cute.

I got in to Women's Speciality Care on April 21st with Dr. O'Toole. I hope I don't have to wait a while for the HSG. I felt like such a retard calling to make the appointment. I launched into this monologue because I didn't know how much information the receptionist needed and she kept cutting me off. She was rather rude so I am already a little hesitant about this place. The receptionists are the first line of contact with patients and potential patients and can really set the tone. But I have several friends that go there, so I need to stay optomistic. I just didn't think I'd have to wait that long. I got the impression from the receptionist that I really wasn't a priority. She said rather snottily that I'd need a consult and that it would be at least a month. She just announced a time without checking to see if it would work with my schedule. Minor stuff, but it irritates me.

No comments: