Tuesday, December 23, 2008

T-Minus 30 Minutes

Until I'm outta here! I won't be coming back until January 5th, 2009. For some unknown reason I took vacation until after New Year's because Paige is off of school and I figured we could get in some quality time. I must have been having a sappy sentimental moment because I'm now wondering wtf was I thinking?!?!?! I'm going to have to line up a bunch of stuff to do to keep us occupied. So far, it's picking up my orthotic inserts on the morning of December 30th and then heading to a playdate with my mom's group at this bounce house place. After that....wide open. It could get ugly.

Not much new to report here. Just putzing along in our own weird world, to quote my friend Melissa. Hard to believe Christmas is only 2 days away.

I'm feeling a little....meloncholy I guess about Christmas. My whole life, we've always spent Christmas at my 2 grandparent's houses down by Milwaukee. They live about 10 minutes apart from each other. Christmas Eve has always been with my mom's side and Christmas Day with my dad's side. Every single year. Without fail. Last year Mike and I broke tradition. We went down there, but came back on Christmas Eve because we wanted to spend Christmas Day at our house. It became really important to us to spend Christmas Day at our house and have our own traditions. We caught a lot of hell for it, but it was worth it. This year, Mike has to work on Christmas Eve, so it will be just Paige and I tomorrow. Just another day. That kind of makes me sad because I almost enjoy Christmas Eve more than Christmas Day. On Christmas Day, she'll open her Santa presents, we'll go to church, and then sometime leave to go up north to Mike's family. It's a 5 hour drive and I'm just kind of bummed that we are travelling so far on Christmas Day. Part of me wanted to head to Milwaukee and spend time with my family, especially my sister and Dylan, but there will be lots of relatives visiting on both sides and basically no room for us to stay. The 3 of us staying home all weekend is not an option. We'll drive each other crazy. BTW, we love each other, this is just how it is. But I'm hoping we'll have a decent time up north. Of course, we have to divide our time equally and spend one day at his dad's house and one day with his mom. We're sleeping at his mom's because his dad has a dog and 100 cats (Ok, 4) which causes Duchess to act even more retarded than usual.

Next weekend, we are all gathering at my mom and dad's house to have our immediate family Christmas. That will be a lot of fun. We did it last year and am really looking forward to it.

Everyone around here is hustling and bustling about, cooking and getting ready to be with family on Christmas. Tomorrow, it's going to be just Paige and I. The day after, Mike, Paige and I. Why this bums me out, I'm not sure. I feel like I should cook a big meal at least one of those days, but it doesn't seem to make sense when it's just the three of us.

But life is good other than that. Max is still awesome. Duchess acts like we are ignoring her, but I think we're giving her more attention than normal-and she knows it.

No comments: