Thursday, February 11, 2010

We're One and Done

So my 14 readers, are you excited to see a new blog post?!?!? I know, I know.

So last time we were together, this blog could be summed up like this "Paige drives me crazy-I can't get pregnant-my coworkers suck-I can't get pregnant-Paige is driving me CRAZY!!!!-my coworkers still suck-Mike is driving me CRAZY!!!!-I can't get pregnant-I can't get pregnant, etc." Mike still drives me crazy, but I love that man so much. Paige will always drive me crazy, but I love her so much it hurts. My coworkers still suck and well, they always will. I can't get pregnant-yeah, we're done with that.

Basically I am the reason why we can't get pregnant. Mike has "wall of fame" sperm-a nurse at Dr. Severino's office words, not mine. I have weird tubes and ovarian cysts. So after months of clomid, ultrasound, bc pills to shrink the cysts, peeing on a stick, IUI that all failed, just reinforcing the fact that I'm the reason why we're not getting pregnant, we are done. Paige asked once for a brother or sister and Mike and I quickly explained that we fought with our siblings all the time growing up (did NOT have to make that up, BTW), she quickly dropped it. The few times I've been with her and babysitting Dylan, she has not been a fan of sharing my attention with Dylan. And to be brutally honest, I don't think I would be a good mother of more than one child. I get frazzled too easily. Yes, it's hard looking back at Paige's baby and toddler pictures knowing I will never get to do that again, but is that a good enough reason to have another baby?

Adoption was not an option for us. Call me selfish or whatever you want, but after carrying and delivering my own child, I wanted to do that again. IVF was not an option either for financial and ethical reasons.

So we have our sweet Paige and the sun will continue to rise and set on her in our (and her!) eyes. She is well liked, well behaved, is becoming more social and has lots of friends. Why mess with that?

Mike took a new job earlier this year that pays nearly $4 an hour less than his old job, with no overtime. So we are taking a HUGE financial hit, but because I truly believe we are able to do that because Paige is an only child. We can still afford Catholic school, camping, water park trips (2 in April!!!), a Badger Bouncers birthday party, Disney on Ice, and other fun stuff. He's working with mentally handicapped adults in their homes. No more delivery driver! No more sore back, driving for hours a day in the snow, etc.

Having an only child is right for our family. I do not want to bash families with more than one child, it's just not right for us.

No comments: