Thursday, June 25, 2009

Confessions of a Single Mom

Be prepared to be grossed out. Mike has been gone all week and I am living in filth. Here goes:

Mike loaded and ran the dishwasher on Sunday and I still have not unloaded the clean ones or put dirty ones in there. The dirty dishes have overflowed from my sink and are now taking over my counter. I promise to load and run it at least once before he gets home.

I cannot remember the last time I gave Paige a bath. It's been in the 90's several days this week and I'm justifying her lack of hygiene on the fact that she swam at home and ran through the sprinkler at her sitter's. That counts, right? I am remembering to dress her in clean clothes and underwear so I guess that's something.

Recycling and garbage pick up was yesterday morning and my recycling bins are still sitting outside. Not gross, just lazy.

The cat went outside this morning like he does every morning with the dog and we couldn't find him before we left. On our searching adventure, Paige discovered a dead bird in the front yard that looked pretty fresh. I have a hunch that Max had something to do with it and is off somewhere celebrating with his cat friends. I left a bowl of water outside for him and said screw it, he's staying outside all day. He's probably sitting by the door pathetically meowing and whining. We have shade in the yard and it won't be as hot today so he'll just have to suck it up.

Usually once a day, I use my handheld vacuum to clean up the litter around Max's litter box as he takes great delight in scattering it about. I haven't done that all week and I think the scattered about litter has migrated into the living room.

My floors are disgusting.

I can't wait for Mike to get home, not because I miss him but because I plan to throw the kid at him and run. OK, I miss him a little.

My alarm goes off at 6am, but I ignore it. I awaken to the sound of Paige walking in my room around 6:30 am and saying she's hungry. A few mornings I've told her to wait so I could sleep some more. Yeah that lasted all of 5 minutes.

I know what time it is in the morning based on what TV show is on. 6:30am: WonderPets, 7am: Max and Ruby, 7:30 am: Diego. If I hear Dora come on at 8am I know we're running late.

In my defense, it has been an unusually crazy week. Paige had t-ball pictures on Monday night so we had to get there at 5:15pm. We got home around 4:30pm, wolfed down quick supper then rushed up there. Tuesday night I worked late and didn't get home until around 6:30pm. Last night I didn't get out of Dr. O'Toole's office until 5:20pm so we didn't get home until 6pm.

I'm taking this afternoon off (well if my boss lets me) to go to lunch with a high school friend and then do some shopping. It's my birthday and I'll celebrate however I want!

No comments: