On Friday night after I was home with Paige 2 days in a row and kind of looking forward to a little bit of a break, Mike informs that he wants to go fishing sometime this weekend, preferably Saturday morning. My immediate reaction was to say NO WAY, but I took a deep breath and thought about it. I guess it's really good walleye fishing right now, but isn't there always a good time to catch some sort of fish? He suggested going overnight and I said no because then you'll be tired and totally useless the next day. So he suggested that he could get up around 4am Saturday morning and go then and get home during Paige's nap. I said fine, but you're taking care of her in the afternoon, so don't pull the excuse that you're tired. And he actually did pretty well with it. I had to nag him a few times, but it wasn't bad.
FISHING FISHING FISHING!!!! I'm so sick of it! I knew I married a fisherman and it wasn't so bad before Paige came along, because I actually like my alone time. But he still wants to go a lot, and I don't know what to do about it. He knows he can't go as much as he did pre-baby, but he doesn't want to give it up. So we need to strike a balance: he wants to fish because he LOVES it, but how often? I feel like he has the rest of his life to fish and Paige is only going to be this age once. And Paige has always preferred me over Mike and there have been a few times when I've wanted to mention that maybe she'd like you a little more if you weren't always FISHING, but I bite my tongue.
Sunday he let me sleep in again and then we went to the mall with Paige. We'd never done that so it was kind of an adventure. She was pretty good as long as we kept moving. She LOVED the play area and the slide! I must get her some sort of outdoor play set; she loves to slide!
We need to strike a balance with Paige. How much do we let her get away with? She fell in love with this $8.50 teddy bear at Old Navy and I was going to buy it and let her keep it even though she has about 50 stuffed animals. Mike said no, which is fine, it would have been a waste of money. So then we go to this Mexican place for supper and Paige won't touch the cheese quesadilla we got her, so she ate tortilla chips and a cookie for supper. Healthy? Not so much. When she screams that she wants me to do something and not Mike, do I swoop in there and rescue her or let him deal with it? When she screams in her highchair because she doesn't like what we've given her, do we let her scream or give her what she wants? Do we let her live on PB&J's right now? Do we go downstairs in the basement and play down there EVERY time she wants or just when we want? I guess these are questions that lots of moms struggle with, and I'll just have to do my best.
3 comments:
We are having the same struggles these days. Especially dinner time. Sometimes, I walk away and let dh deal with it. Not always to my liking, but no harm done.
Moderation in all things. Sometimes I give in to Stef, sometimes I don't.
Don't sweat the small stuff. My neice survived on toast, bananas and milk for breakfast, then hot dogs and green beans for lunch and supper for about 2 years. That's the only things she'd eat.
I agree with Terri, don't sweat the small stuff. Paige seems like a happy, healthy little girl, enjoy her while you can. I feel your pain with the fishing business, insert football and it's my life. Maybe when Paige gets a little bigger she can start tagging along.
Post a Comment